Monday, February 12, 2007

Perpetual Motion

Last year I thought I would try to tough it out and avoid taking my sea sick pills. I could hold it at bay for about a day and a half by shear force of will, but eventually the constant rocking would get to me and I would break down and take the pills. After taking 2 pills I would make the transition to being at sea and then would not have to take any more pills until I had been on land for a day. Last year I tried to do with out the pills on every trip and every time I would end up taking them on the second day. This year I took them before we left the dock and hardly noticed that the floor was moving the next morning when I got up.
Since I have to get up and work when ever they pull in a net full of fish, I cannot keep a regular sleep pattern. There are no windows in my bunk or in the galley or factory where I spend ninety percent of my time. Days lose their meaning. When the captain or mate calls haul back I generally have no idea whether I will be coming out of the hatch into black night or bright sun. If some one says it is 7:00 I have to ask if it is am or pm. The lack of sleep combined with the rising and falling of the waves combine to bewilder my system. I eat when I am not hungry and I never really feel full after I eat, I am frequently up when I am tired and often fall asleep when I thought I was awake enough to read a book. Filling in the dates on my paperwork is the only thing that gives me some order, but some times I will get a long sleep and find out that the date hasn’t changed, sometimes the date changes when I haven’t slept, some days last for a week and others are gone before I realized they have started.


Picture: Trampers in Dutch Harbor. Most factory processor ships will off load their product directly to trampers which will carry the frozen blocks of fish to China, Japan or Korea. The Intrepid will only hit the dock for a few hours to take fuel. It's a bit frustrating to wait for 12 hours, in sight of town, while all the fish is being removed from the freezer hold.