Friday, April 27, 2007

An African Experience in America

I looked around on line and found a few cars I wanted to check out. There were several at dealerships along Aurora/Highway 99 so over a couple of days I worked my way by bus and on foot from one end of the road to the other looking at all of the dealerships along the way.
It came down to two station wagons. I was at the Toyota dealership with a small Asian man who was very intent on selling me a car. It was listed at something over 6000 but was on sale for 4888. I offered 2750 and my salesman took the offer to the back office. He came back with 3500. I called to a dealership that I had been to the day before and asked about a Honda I had seen. The Toyota pusher convinced me to put in a bid of 2900 and after he had been to see his boss he came back with an offer still over 3000. I told him I was going to buy the car I had seen the day before. I walked out of the office. He came out calling after me. "Wait, wait, wait, we can give you your price."
I haven’t had a salesman try that hard since I was buying masks in Douala. But despite his efforts I had set my self on the Honda, so I got on the bus for one last ride. At the transfer point There was a man who was talking rather loud. He made some comments to a boy who was riding by on his bicycle and then continued to talk. I didn't think much of it until he walked around where I could see him and I realised that he was not talking to any one in particular. Some of the things he said sounded like they might be movie quotes but I couldn't tell which movies; he made some comments about fishing but he did not direct them towards the guy with a fishing pole. The guy with the pole ingnored him. Once on the bus he took a seat. At the next stop a mother with a young son got on. The loud guy started talking to the kid. It was fun watching the amuzed looks on the faces of other passengers as we waited to see how long it would take for the mother and son to realize he was crazy. Again this is something I have not seen since being in Africa. There are not nearly as many crazy people roaming the streets here as there are in Africa.
After getting back to the Independance lot and calling the bank to free up my card I am now the owner of a new car.

Picture: 1993 Honda Accord wagon, Standard Transmission, AC, Cruise Control, Seats that fold flat in the back. It is parked in front of the Saltwater Inc. apartment in Seattle.